Sunday, August 28, 2011

Greenback Kinda Day

I received a message on facebook the other day from a good friend of mine saying that we were going to pursue some Greenback Cutthroat when he got back from the IFTD in New Orleans.  We made a plan to meet in the parking lot at 10 A.M Saturday morning.

The lush vegetation was incredible!



Casey and I before heading out in search of trout
 Vincent brought along a friend of his, so he and I decided to hike ahead of the other three guys.  We hiked pretty far up, and fished about a mile and a half upstream from where we started. It was a breathtaking place full of great scenery. clear water, and tons of Greenbacks.  We started off the morning with ant dries, and switched later to attractor dries with unweighted emerger dropper patterns.  It was amazing to see some of the takes.  One of us would spot the fish, and then the other would cast to it.
Discussing tactics in order to fool that particular fish

Can you spot the fish?

Super clear water, and rising cutties. Nothing gets better.
Not huge, but beautiful as can be!

Greenback!
I was a bit upstream of Casey, and spotted a nice (for this area) greenback feeding heavily on emergers, so I decided to try for him.  I put one cast over him, and he came up to check out my dry, but refused it.  On the second drift, he kicked over to the side a few inches, opened his mouth, and I set.  The reward was a beautiful cutthroat.

Trying to Indian Hand Grab  a monster Rainbow in the stocked pond
 We ended the day with eating at a local pizza place is estes park, and had some fun messing with the huge trout that reside in a stocked pond there.  Overall I had an awesome trip, and will definitely be heading back soon!

2 comments:

  1. Can you believe those lunkers in that pond?! I must say that Dustin and I are obsessed with the greenback. We'll have to get together next summer and go chase 'em!

    -stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie-

    Those fish are huge! It is so tempting to throw a cast in there.

    As far as the greenbacks go, they are awesome fish! I would absolutely love to fish with you guys sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...