Thursday, October 6, 2011

2b + 3a * F (a) = Fishing Time?

Not so much.  Over the past month or so, I have been literally up to my eyeballs in homework, and have had minuscule amounts of free time to go fishing.  I apologize for not posting in such a long time, but now that school is finally starting to somewhat settle, I should be able to post more frequently.  I have been busy solving for the value of 'X', and exploring the literary elements of culture, while trying to maintain my sanity with each passing day.

Notes, notes, and more notes...
I did manage to get out a few times back in september with excellent luck throughout wyoming, and have been out a few times since, with rather disappointing results.  I was quite satisfied though, because the hopper pattern that I recently came up with managed to out-fish some of the more popular patterns such as Charlie Boy Hoppers.  As for the conditions...The Poudre is running low and clear in town; almost so low that it looks more like a drainage ditch than a river.  I was watching the flows like a hawk, and despite the recent bump to around 200 CFS, the lower stretches of the river are still being deprived of precious water.  As much as it bothers me, it does get me excited for the 20 degree days on the water with 7X tippet and size 26 midges....

Beautiful Cutbow caught on one of my new hopper designs!
One of the highlights of the past month was getting to meet April Vokey, and learning how to tie some steelhead stuff!  I, and several of my other friends have major crushes on her, so it was quite the treat!  Not only is she super nice, but she loves fly fishing!  I can't help but to wonder if there is a better combo out there... 

Me and April...Ahhhhh
My Steelhead Fly...


Like I said, I have been extremely busy, but am planning on getting out this weekend.  The canyon is lit up yellow with the gorgeous fall colors of Aspen trees, so if you get the chance, get up there a ways and do some fishing! 

Sunflowers at sunset
Scott Ruthven Photo
Barn in the Country
Scott Ruthven Photo
 If you do manage to get out on the water, let me know how fishing was!


4 comments:

  1. I know the busy feeling. Since school started again for me, the times that I do get to fish I cherish. We are hoping to make one more run to Eleven Mile Canyon before the cold and snow kicks us out.

    So cool you got to meet April. Your steelhead fly looks killer.

    -stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie-

    School and fishing are the complete opposites of each other. I hate being cooped up in a classroom all day, but it has to be done! Let me know how fishing was if you do get up to eleven mile canyon!

    Thank you for the compliment on the steelhead fly! They sure are fun to tie...

    Best Regards,
    Jake Ruthven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Troutdawg-

    Thank you very much! I appreciate the compliment! If there is anything in particular that you want to see on here, please don't hesitate to let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...